Automating Direct Mail With Marketo
Marketo Engage is one of the leading marketing automation platforms on the market. Most Marketo users are familiar with the software’s email, social, website, and ad capabilities. But did you know that you can also leverage the data intelligence in Marketo to automate direct mail campaigns?
Whether you are looking for more personalization, better targeting and segmentation, or simply want to take advantage of timed or triggered mailings, you can integrate direct mail into your Marketo Smart Campaigns just as you would any other channel. To get started, you’ll first need to integrate with an app that specializes in direct mail automation, production, and mailing, like our tool Banjo.
Creating Marketo Webhooks
Once your Banjo account is set up, you can create a webhook to allow Marketo and Banjo to communicate. Follow the steps below to create a Marketo webhook that points to the direct mail campaign you’ve set up in Banjo.
Create a Banjo API Token
- Log in to Banjo and navigate to Manage Account > API Tokens
2. Create an API Token with record:create permissions.
Note: The token will only be shown once, so copy it to a safe place before closing the window.
Create a Banjo Campaign
- Navigate to the Campaigns page and click on NEW CAMPAIGN
2. Complete the New Campaign form
3. Navigate to the Campaign Dashboard (click on the name in the breadcrumb) and click on WEBHOOK CONFIGURATION
Note: Keep this window open, you will need the information when creating your Marketo webhook.
Create a Marketo Webhook
- In a new window, log in to Marketo and navigate to Admin > Integrations > Webhooks
2. Click on New Webhook and complete the form.
Note: You can copy and paste the values from the Banjo WEBHOOK CONFIGURATION window.
3. After you create the webhook, click on Webhook Actions > Set Custom Header
4. Create the Authorization and Content-Type headers.
Note: Replace the x’s in the screenshot with your Banjo API token that was created earlier.
Create a Marketo List
- Navigate to Database and create a New List for the purposes of testing the Smart Campaign you are about to create.
Create a Marketo Smart Campaign
- Navigate to Marketing Activities
- Right click a folder and create a New Smart Campaign
Note: Leave the “Executable” box unchecked.
3. Add an Added to List trigger to the Smart List for your Campaign.
Note: You can change the trigger later. For the purposes of testing, the Added to List trigger is the most convenient.
4. Add a Call Webhook action to the Flow of your Campaign.
5. Make the Smart Campaign Active and edit the Smart Campaign Settings so that each person will run through the campaign every time.
Note: You can change the Qualification Rules to your liking once you’re done testing the webhook.
Trigger the Smart Campaign
- Navigate to the Marketo List you created earlier.
- Click on List Actions > Import List
Note: You can use this sample file if you don’t already have one to import.
3. Navigate to the Marketo Smart Campaign you created earlier. Click on the Results tab to ensure that your webhooks are being sent.
4. Navigate to the Banjo Campaign you created. You should see the records come over immediately.
Congratulations, you have successfully completed the setup steps for integrating Marketo Webhooks with your Banjo campaign. If you run into any issues, reach out to our team—we’re happy to help!
And if you’re interested in using Banjo to automate direct mail through your Marketo Smart Campaigns, contact us today to get started.